If you are a faculty member, please read onwards.
If you are a staff member, post-doctoral fellow, graduate student or anyone else, please go to Staff and Others Not Eligible To File Online (see below).
For Faculty Members
The Conflict of Interest /Conflict of Commitment declaration form for almost all faculty members is paperless and done within the RISe (Researcher Information Services) system. As a faculty member, you complete the form online and then it is reviewed and stored online. You will make any amendments and required updates online and they will be reviewed online. UBC’s Conflict of Interest/Commitment Declaration in RISe was updated in July 2012. To see a copy of this new declaration, click here.
The online process in RISe will send you (and your reviewer) automated email notices at key points including an annual notice to update your Conflict of Interest /Conflict of Commitment declaration.
To log on and file your Conflict of Interest /Conflict of Commitment declaration:
- Go to https://rise.ubc.ca
- Use your CWL (Campus Wide LogIn) account information to log in.
If you do not have a CWL (Campus Wide Login) account, click here.
If you need help:
With your CWL (Campus Wide Login), click here or call 604-822-2008 and press 1. Or, from the Okanagan, call 250-807-9611 and press 1.
With the RISe system, call 604-878-7473 and press 0.
With Conflict of Interest /Conflict of Commitment issues, call 604-822-8623 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Clinical Associate Professor
Professor of Teaching
If your faculty rank is not on this list and you know you must file in the RISe database, please contact the Conflict of Interest Administrator (contact details at the bottom of this page). Anyone who has signing authority over an active research account must file a Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment declaration in RISe.
Otherwise, if you are required to file a Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment declaration, please see Staff and Others Not Eligible To File Online (see below).
If you need to file a Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment declaration but you are not eligible to file online in the RISe system, then:
1. Send an email to your immediate supervisor with the details of the conflict of interest.
2. Using email, get your immediate supervisor’s okay and agree to any limits. For example, if you are dating a student, the limits might include: you are free to date a student as long as the student’s course work, marks, etc. have nothing to do with your work and if his/her name comes up in any work meeting, you will explain your involvement and leave the room as needed.
Remember a supervisor does not have to agree to accept the conflict and the things you do to limit the impact will help in any discussion.
3. When you have completed all necessary emails, and have your supervisor’s approval, send an email with all details to the Conflict of Interest Administrator at email@example.com and copy your supervisor on the email.
4. Plan to update this email in 12 months or if anything changes whichever comes first.
For more information on UBC’s Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment Policy #97, please go to http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/policies/policy97.pdf.
Conflict of Interest Administrator
Office of the University Counsel
The University of British Columbia
Campus Zone 2
Tel: 604-822-8623 Fax: 604-822-8731