The UBC community is invited to comment on proposed amendments to Policy #3 (Discrimination).
Policy #3 was initially approved by the Board of Governors (the “Board”) in January of 1995 and has only been slightly updated since. The Office of the University Counsel convened a Policy Review Committee, which has prepared a draft proposal.
Policy #3 addresses the process by which concerns relating to matters of discrimination on the grounds protected by the BC Human Rights Code (“Code”) are addressed by the University. The new Policy #3 amendments are intended to bring the policy into alignment with current practices. The following are the more significant changes in the policy:
- changing the title of the Policy from “Discrimination and Harassment” to “Discrimination” and removing most references to “harassment” in the policy and procedures;
- updating names of offices and positions;
- focusing the role of the Administrative Head of Unit;
- clarifying the jurisdiction of the Director of Investigations to investigate complaints;
- updating the privacy and confidentiality language to create consistency with other policies; and
- deleting the one-year limitation period to bring a complaint
The proposed amendments to Policy #3 are now being published and all members of the UBC community are encouraged to provide their comments. Please submit feedback to the Office of the University Counsel at email@example.com by February 1, 2019.
For further information about this Policy proposal, please see the information package that was provided to the Board at https://bog3.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2018/11/3_2018.11_Policy-3-Discrimination-and-Harassment.pdf.